Welcome to my blog

Welcome to my blog, I am an artist turned illustrator/author of childrens educational coloring books.Because I believe we live in the best country in the world, I want children to learn about our country in a way they will enjoy. I think all kids like to color (even in our electronic world). While doing research for the books I learned that many parents don't know a lot about our country themselves, Some said to me " I should get the books for myself ". So I decided to do this blog, featuring each state as I research and illustrate it for the books. It is a fun way for young and old to learn about different states. Check the Visit the U.S.A. page.

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Setting an example

When my daughter was a very little girl ( not old enough to go to school yet)
I had a bad habit of calling someone that I thought did something bad or made me angry " an ole sum bi..h" I guess I thought it didn't sound as bad as the usual statement.
One day we were visiting my mother-in-law, she and I were having a cup of coffee and visiting sitting at her round kitchen table, when all of a sudden I realized my little girl who was skipping around the table and quietly singing a song which was " sum bi..h, sum bi..h, sum bi..h,
sum bi..h, ooole sum bi..ch.
I quickly told her it had not been nice of mommy to call people that and she should never call anyone that, and that mommy had been wrong to call people that. Well let me tell you that incident broke me of calling people bad names or using bad words.
I recently read a poem the jest of which was what someone learned while their mom thought they were not looking. And it drove home to me how vitally important it is that we adults set a good example for children. We all KNOW that we should be an example, but are we ??
I may be old fashioned, but I remember the good role models we used to have and I hope we will all try to be good role models for young ones. What better way to show them than by setting a good example ?!
What do you think ?

No comments:

Post a Comment