Welcome to my blog

Welcome to my blog, I am an artist turned illustrator/author of childrens educational coloring books.Because I believe we live in the best country in the world, I want children to learn about our country in a way they will enjoy. I think all kids like to color (even in our electronic world). While doing research for the books I learned that many parents don't know a lot about our country themselves, Some said to me " I should get the books for myself ". So I decided to do this blog, featuring each state as I research and illustrate it for the books. It is a fun way for young and old to learn about different states. Check the Visit the U.S.A. page.

Monday, April 9, 2012

Missed Opportunity

A while back I was pushing a grocery cart down one of the main isles in our local grocery when all of a sudden from a side isle zooms a cart out, almost hitting my cart. A boy probably about 10 or 11 was pushing it, his mother was right  behind him and seeing what happened, she looked at me shrugged her shoulders and just grinned.

I thought what has happened to common courtesy which makes life more pleasant.

First of all the boy should have known better than to be "zooming" a cart in the store where he could have hurt someone and the least he could have done was be polite enough to say excuse me.
His mother had a perfect opportunity to have taught him common courtesy ( which he should have already known) but she missed the opportunity.

On another day Grandpappy Happy and I were coming out of a store and a mother with a little girl probably about 5 or 6 were walking ahead of us, the little girl saw us and she waited and held the door open for us.
We of course praised the little girl for being so thoughtful and polite and praised the mother for teaching her daughter common courtesy. I believe when a child learns things like that at a early age, they will always practice what they learn through out life, it just becomes part of who they are.
It is amazing how small common courtesies add pleasure to our lives.
I wish we would all be a little more thoughtful of others, it makes life so much more pleasant.

No comments:

Post a Comment