Welcome to my blog

Welcome to my blog, I am an artist turned illustrator/author of childrens educational coloring books.Because I believe we live in the best country in the world, I want children to learn about our country in a way they will enjoy. I think all kids like to color (even in our electronic world). While doing research for the books I learned that many parents don't know a lot about our country themselves, Some said to me " I should get the books for myself ". So I decided to do this blog, featuring each state as I research and illustrate it for the books. It is a fun way for young and old to learn about different states. Check the Visit the U.S.A. page.

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Arithmetic and making change

Last time we visited I gave the experience of a twenty-something young man working at a check out register who had a very difficult time making the change the register said was due the customer.

I said we could teach our children to count money and make change
 by playing " store" with them.
Someone ask me how to do that.

My suggestion is this:
Get a few things together that your child likes, and put a price on each one. Keep it simple, let's say nothing over $10:00.
Of course you will need $ 10:00 in change to play the game . I would suggest  1-Five dollar bill, 4- one dollar bills and one dollar in change, 2 quarters, 3 dimes, 3 nickles and 5 pennies.

Let your child choose the item/items they want ot buy, give the child a $ 10:00 bill and let them make the change, counting it back to you.
This will teach them how to count money and make change.

Another thing it will teach them is if they want more things than they have money for they can't have what ever it is until they save enough money for it.
They will learn they can't have everything they want if they can't afford it.
Do NOT give them the idea of a credit card, let them learn to save for what they want.

If you start young enough with this it will be a natural thing and not a burden.


No comments:

Post a Comment