Welcome to my blog

Welcome to my blog, I am an artist turned illustrator/author of childrens educational coloring books.Because I believe we live in the best country in the world, I want children to learn about our country in a way they will enjoy. I think all kids like to color (even in our electronic world). While doing research for the books I learned that many parents don't know a lot about our country themselves, Some said to me " I should get the books for myself ". So I decided to do this blog, featuring each state as I research and illustrate it for the books. It is a fun way for young and old to learn about different states. Check the Visit the U.S.A. page.

Monday, June 4, 2012

Kids Allowance

For the last couple of weeks I have been talking about money and making change.

This thought process made me start thinking the many things we have been teaching( or not ) our kids, like responsibility.

For example who or what gave parents the idea that they should give a child money (allowance) for doing chores around their home ?

Think about it, as a mother and/or wife do you get an allowance for all the things you do in and around the house ?
When you clean house, cook, do laundry and do all the other things you do to keep your home nice, do you get an allowance ? Probably not, that's what responsibility is.

When your husband mows the lawn, blows the leaves, or helps with chores around the house does he get an allowance ? Again that is part of the responsibility of being part of the family.

When I was a kid, I was expected to be part of the family and share in some of the chores (without pay), that was just  being a part of the family, you learned to share some of the responsibility.

To make money we would ask the neighbors if they had some job we could do to make some money.
We would ask to mow their lawn or help with whatever chores that needed to be done.

We learned to share the responsibility around own  home and if we wanted something extra we had to work for it.

We have been teaching kids " entitlement" instead of responsibility, and then we wonder why they are the way they are.

I have watched the decline of, or lack of teaching responsibility, commitment, accountability, loyalty and morality for at least the last couple of generations and I shudder to think what our world will be like if we as parents and adults don't start to turn things around and do it NOW!

One last thing, we complain about the "kids" but guess what it is not the kids that are the problem it's we adults and parents that are the problem.

Lets take our responsibility and teach and guide our young ones before its too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment